By Anne Miller
Introduction | Task | Resources | Process | Evaluation | Conclusion
What do you know about fire safety? Have you ever thought about what you would do if your house caught on fire? You and your family are going to learn some things that will help keep you all safe during a house fire. You are going to make a floor plan for your home and design two escape routes from your bedroom. You are going to help your parents check the smoke alarms in your home. You and your family will decide about a meeting place away from your house in case of a fire. Then you and your family will have a fire drill in your home and meet at the meeting place. You will keep a journal and write about your experience after each assignment.
1. You will go this website and print the map from this website: http://www.nfpa.org/sparky/PDF/escape_plan.pdf . You and your parents will make a floor plan of your home and map an escape route. You will bring your map to class and tell the class about your plans.
2. You will go to this website and learn about smoke alarm safety- http://www.usfa.fema.gov/kids/sa.htm. You will then help your parents check the smoke alarms and write about what you found. Are they all working, do any need batteries, and do you need more smoke alarms? Your parents will sign the paper.
3. You and your family will discuss a meeting place. Using this website- decide what you should do. http://www.nfpa.org/sparky/cool_archive/great_escape.html
4. You and your family need to discuss the important safety tips found on this website- http://www.usfa.fema.gov/kids/ep.facts.htm. After you have read and discussed this with your parents, you need to take the test.
5. The last assignment is to practice the drill. You will write the date, time and how successful you thought the drill was and hand it in.
Check out these websites in your quest for more information:
1. Print out the floor plan from http://www.nfpa.org/sparky/PDF/escape_plan.pdf. Make out your escape plan and bring to class to share.
2. Help your parents check the smoke alarms and write about what you found. Are they all working, do any need batteries, and do you need more smoke alarms?
3. You and your family will discuss a meeting place outside where you will meet in case of a fire. Tell me where this meeting place is. Draw a picture of your home and meeting place.
4. Your last assignment is to practice the drill. Write what you and your family did during the home fire drill. Record the date, time and experience. Was the drill sucessful? How do you know? _________________________________________
You will be evaluated by:
1. Successfully completing a floor plan of your home and the escape routes.
2. Your completed the papwr with parent's initialing your finding on your smoke alarms, your score on the safety test, and your writng of your home fire drill.
3. A picture of your home and meeting place.
1. Students will share their finding with the class. They will make a class chart to show what they found out about smoke alarms, meeting places and escape routes. Floor plans and pictures will be displayed so other may look at them. We will invite the fire department to visit with us.
Click here to return to the top.
Mrs. Miller's Class Page